Friday, January 24, 2014

Are Watersaver Gardens Part Of An Answer To My Dry Garden/ Watering Problem?

I decided to start by sharing what I'm listening to as I write this blog. It's not the kind of music I usually listen to, and most of you won't even understand the words.

I don't, because though I'm South African, I'm not Zulu, but I love her voice, the instruments and the emotion that the song conveys. Enjoy!




Anyhoo, the other day I posted that I was looking for possible solutions to make my gardening easier in a dry and hot period, and Nana Chel suggested that I try watersaver garden.

My first response was, "what the heck are those, and how much time, money and skill will it require to put them up?"

The other issue that I raised was that of judicious use of my land, and seeing that watersaver gardens are container gardens, what would it all mean for me and my use of the land?

Well, thanks to Google and YouTube, I didn't have to wonder too long about what watersaver gardens were and what it would take to make them.

I found this video to give very clear, detailed instructions



Then the next issue was how much material that I have I could repurpose to make the watersaver gardens. Nana Chel suggested old water tanks.

As you can see below, I have plenty from old water tanks. Here are some of them. My family has had boreholes since the early 70s and we never threw away the old tanks, though I had been known to call them junk. Now I use them for a variety of things:

where we put garbage bags from the house for removal
Garden rubble. Some ends up in compost heap in another tank
my veg. promo board:-)


I don't have the tubing mechanism though I expect I can easily sort them out. So thank you Nana Chel. It looks like there is a watersaver garden in my future. I'll just have to knuckle down one of these days and get it done. Or most probably, beg Nephew and other men in my life to do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment