Thursday, August 4, 2016

Carp. Lots of Fresh Carp

I'm so glad my friend Sharon has moved here! She loves finding alternative sources of food, much like I do. And she recently found a young man who fishes at Kanana Dam (also called Vaalkop Dam.) who agreed to supply us with carp. The dam is in Phokeng, but several villages over from where I live. We'll get the fish on a weekly basis at a very reasonable price.

We tried the first catch and there is such a vast difference between freshly caught fish and what I usually buy from the supermarket. It practically melted in my mouth.

The family decided that Wednesday is our fresh fish day. Each week we are going to try out a new recipe.  So yesterday we had a fish braai for dinner. It was a public holiday (local/municipal elections) and so we went to vote and then hung out with family and friends.
The fish is very large.. more than 2kg each, I think

We marinated the fish with sauce made up of:

  • Fresh herbs from the garden
  • Lemon juice
  • Peri-peri spice
  • Worcester sauce
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment