Sunday, April 26, 2020

My Gardening Progress Despite A Very Hard Lockdown

Sprouting the tops of my beetroot produce
My sprouting adventures continue and things are going well. As you can see from the picture here, my beets are growing very well.

Hopefully, soon the roots will have grown enough for me to be able to transfer them to the soil containers.

I've also been busy weeding portions of the garden and sweeping the paved portions of the yard for fallen leaves. I'm using the leaves to prepare as many containers as I can get my hands on.

It also feels good to see a start of my beet preserves, as we like them very much. It was a hard starting point, with no garden, under a strong lockdown where I couldn't even buy seeds and seedlings. But with the regulations easing up a little bit, I will be able to scale up my operation. I'm not going to preach, but this adventure shows that even with hard limits imposed on a household, we can still do something for provide for ourselves.

I also added chunks of onions, which we like in beetroot
My lentil sprouts are coming along well


Meanwhile, government announced that we will begin Level 4 lockdown on the 1 May, at which time I will also be able to buy seeds and seedlings.

In general, even in the city, I live like a hermit, seeing mostly family and close friends on a regular basis. But I'm starting to feel the cabin fever, mostly because I can't go for my regular runs or go out to buy whatever gardening things I need when I need them. But that will hopefully change.

Lockdown gave us all an opportunity to reboot, and my version of rebooting is focus as much as I can on being able to provide for myself and my family. It doesn't mean the writing work takes a backseat - I have also been busy with that, and my schedule from today until the 8th May actually looks hideous. But I said yes to the client because in this era where paying work is inaccessible for many, I am fortunate enough to still be able to do mine.

I hope that your gardening adventures are also progressing in your corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment