Monday, April 6, 2020

Sprouting Roots From My Food Produce

Aren't these roots beautiful?
With the "lockdown" directive in place in South Africa, I decided to use the remains of my fresh produce when I cook to sprout seedlings for my garden.

I've been doing that with my onions and potato peels and things are coming along rather nicely.

Sprouting the onions turned out to be easier than I expected: all I had to do was to put the onion end into a cup half full of water with the bottom end down on a window sill. Every time I use an onion, that's where the bottom end ends up.

I change the water every other day. I'm going to allow the onion roots to continue to grow until the bulbs are ready for transplanting.

Yesterday I also started to plant my potato crop in a big metal half-tank. I used to compost scraps and bits of grass in the tank back in the day, which I never got to use in the garden.


So now I have very rich soil for the beginning of the potato tank. Wish me luck! I've never successfully grown potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment