Friday, April 3, 2020

Preserving Lemons, Limes & Spinach....and There's Lots of Rain

I began the day by picking lemons and limes from my trees. Some were starting to fall off onto the ground, to rot there. So this was also a rescue operation for my citruses.

Over the weekend, I was going to put some of  the lemons aside to use fresh, lacto-ferment some with salt to use as seasoning, make marmalade and lemon syrup and also dry some to use as tea. I'm also going to use the lemons to make cleaning material and anti-bug salves.



But during one of my mid-day breaks from client work, I decided to just start the job. And while I was at it, I  also decided to dry some of the excess spinach that I got during my last produce run to the store.
I'm making small, incremental progress with my drive to hunker down in this property through the winter. The weather is cooperating - it's been raining steadily for the past couple of days. And yesterday while I was weeding my old mint patch, I found a group of spinach seedlings happily growing there. Also, my chickpea sprouts are coming along well. The seeds are now fat and have stubby little tails and some green patches, indicating their intention to start growing.

As my nephew Lesedi Motshumi repeated a meme, "this lockdown is going to force us to start hunting our own food and I don't know where where Doritos live!" (The little joke in there is that his surname Motshumi means Hunter).

So my little venture may be of no use in the hunt and capture of Doritos, or even pizza, but it will certainly make a contribution to my soup pots this winter. So if my blog inspires you to do something in a way of raising your own food, however small, do it. Every little bit helps, especially if it means that you don't have to go to the store to get it.

Stay healthy and safe!

2 comments:

  1. Damaria, that's funny about the Doritos 😂 I just checked the beans I planted a few days ago that I got from a forum member at a get-together a few years ago and I was excited to see they are sprouting. Now to stop the insects and birds from eating them. They are prolific since we finally had some rain after the big dry. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your beans Nana. Ja, insects and birds are an issue...for us too. Glad you're also getting some rain too.
    P.S. I registered in the forum you recommended. Still silently reading and stalking..

    ReplyDelete