Friday, September 11, 2020

Change of Season: Spring is Here!

For a long time Old Man Winter refused to loosen his iron grip on us. But Spring is finally here and I feel like my body has been let out of the ice prison. The ground no longer looks a dull brown too. We went from this.....

Phokeng in winter (August 2020)

to these two scenes....

Spring in Johannesburg (small hill near my city home)


Spring in Johannesburg (look at that sky!)

So what does this mean for my food gardening adventures?

I'm going to create the opportunity to do some transplanting of seedlings I managed to nurse through the cold winter weeks ( spinach, kale, Chinese cabbage, carrots and onions). I also want to start planting from seed - I managed to buy some seeds at the local supermarket, and a good friend of mine has also offered to send me seeds. 

 

I got plenty of onion scapes from replanting onion scraps
 

This was also an opportunity for me to harvest scapes from the onion bottom scraps I planted when our Level 5 Lockdown started at the beginning of April and supermarkets were only allowed to sell essentials and seeds were not included in the essentials list. I'm looking forward to my first bite of Spring.




1 comment: